Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Problem Assigning Software to Computers Via Group Policy

I've today managed to find the solution to a problems that's been bugging me for a bit. When trying to install software(an .msi file) via a computer group policy, I couldn't get it to work. In the application event log I was getting errors along the lines of

The installation source is invalid

As far as I could see I had given the computer NTFS rights into the share where the software was located, and everyone had read access to the share.

While trying to install the Dell open manage client software today I worked out what it was. Our Active directory is based on Windows 2000 servers, but the unc share the software was located on was a Windows2003 server. I moved the installation source to a windows 2000 server, gave the Domain Computers group access to the files and it worked!

Not entirely sure what caused the problem in the first place, there must be some incompatibility between the 2 operating systems way of working with the NTFS permissions.

So I managed to get the software on, but I cant get the client pc's to report properly to the Dell open manage IT assistant, without lots of manual intervention on the pc's.
You need to create a new domain user and run the IAP service as this users so the client will report. If anyone has done this already with some sort of script, let me know how you did it.

Listening to: NoFx, Punk In Drublic

No comments: